In the 1980’s, with the establishment of more universities in Iran, there was a growing need for cooperation and collaboration among university horticulturists. To meet this need, “Iranian Horticulture Meeting” was hold by collaborating a few universities at Tehran, Shiraz, Esfahan, Tabriz starting1989. The 1st National congress of Horticultural Science held at Seed and Plant Improvement Institute in 1997 and from that time, Iranian Horticultural Science Congress was holding every four years regularly.
By now, eight congresses and several symposia and meetings have been held at Mashad, Shiraz, Guilan, Isfahan and Hamedan.
Previous presidents of Society:
- Professor Alireza Talaei, Department of Horticultural Science, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Tehran, Karaj, Iran.
- Professor Morteza Khoshkhui, Department of Horticultural Science, College of Agriculture, University of Shiraz, Shiraz, Iran.
- Professor Mostafa Mobli, Department of Horticultural Science, College of Agriculture, Isfehan University Technology, Isfahan, Iran.
- Supporting and conducting scientific research at regional, national and international levels
- Co-operating with the scientific and research organizations in evaluation and implementation of their programs and activities
- Scientific and technical consultation to members, individuals and organizations specially Ministry of Agriculture
- Supporting scientific meetings at local, regional, national and international levels
- Publication of books, extension materials and periodicals